Friday 15 May 2009

The Piazza

Today, I watched Angels & Demons.

And, I was bowled over by the extent to which the movie-makers go in filming a fiction novel, covering so many places of Rome in the entire 2-hour show. Of all, I think I love the view of St Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro) the best.

I believe one of the best views of the piazza is from the dome of St Peter's Church - A height of about 140 metres should promise you a good view of the entire piazza, and even most parts ot the Vatican City. To get that view, you would first need to climb many flights of stairs before you can reach the cupola - the top of the dome.

* * *
I still remember how spontaneously we decided to make our way up to the dome. Even if it meant we had to climb a seemingly endless flights of steps. even if we had to squeeze through the narrow passageways. I didn't know if I would ever develop claustrophobia, but what i strongly knew was - I wanted to see St Peter's Square from the dome of the church.

The walls along the steps were tilted that sometimes I had to bend my body and walk on a slant with each step I made. The walls actually tilt in such a way that the dome was built. The steps felt ancient and old - some were uneven with many tiny holes. some were shiny, smoothened by the feet of throngs of climbers.

When we finally got to the top, I found myself walking around near the ceiling of the dome. I walked many rounds repeatedly, and it was nice to learn to appreciate Michelangelo's art, as depicted on the mosaic murals on the ceiling.

But the best part at the cupola was to walk out to the outside of the dome, as my eyes marvelled at the world's famous St Peter's Square, for it was simply phenomenal. The Bernini's baroque design, the centre obelisk, the standing statues, the surrounding pillars and the curvy arches. They were all majestic, a great place for congregations of a huge number of people.


This is one picture which i would always keep - the facade of the world's largest church - a view which i would not possibly forget.

* * *

I've not read the novel, so I have nothing much to comment about the story plot in the film. But there are definitely several things which caught me by surprise - I did not know that a secret underground passageway connecting the Castle San Angelo and the Vatican City actually exists! Well, it would be something interesting if it really does! And, it's amusing to see the Swiss Guards playing around with guns and all - i thought they would look better off with flamberges instead!

Well, if you ask me to watch the film again, i wouldnt say no!

1 comment:

Miss Lime said...

Loved the film... So steep in architecturial culture...