Monday 8 June 2009

Is your diet well 'supplemented'?

Recently, I ran into a friend's mother at the lake gardens when she suddenly asked me, "I'm thinking of some fish oil supplements for my health. Do you think they're beneficial? What's the best brand out there?"

Well, it took me a few 'hmm's, a couple of 'er's (and perhaps a whole lot more of interjections), before i could really give her an answer!

Boy, how uninformed am I about supplements!? Seriously, i should be knowing all these (or so i thought!) - but it occurred to me, I'm really not the type of person who goes for dietary supplements!

If you let me have a choice between
1) FISH OIL CAPSULES & A SLICE OF SALMON, i would prefer the latter!
-or-
2) A BOTTLE OF VITAMIN C & A BASKET OF ORANGES, I would also grab the latter (undoubtedly!)

Yes, even if it means that i would have to go through the hassle of cooking/grilling the salmon, or peeling all of the oranges!!!

Perhaps i just have this obssesive preoccupation about feeding those pills/capsules/formulated products into our digestive tract. Perhaps I just never always have a good perception about taking pills when we are all healthy, or when we have access to a variety of healthy foods around.

Thinking over it again, maybe I should really start learning up more about dietary supplements. I believe they will not do more bad than good, as long as we go in moderation in those stuff.

To start with, should i experiment myself with some fish oil capsules? These (see picture) are complimentary gift which my senior got from a sales representative, and she was nice enough to share them with her junior pharmacists!


And lastly, my stand on dietary supplements:- Yes, they should not be harmful if they are approved and heavily tested for its safety. But the key again should be:- moderation. It's no point spending a huge sum of money on all these stuff. Stick to a healthy diet, eat good foods, and get ample exercises. That should really suffice to lead a healthy living.

3 comments:

Yi Lyn said...

Bravo, well said!!! Nice blog u have here:)

yieng said...

i agree. my choice would be the oranges and the salmon too. i remember david chong once said that supplements are unnecessary because out diet are more than enough to provide the required, isn't it? anyway, just dropping by to say hi. :)

Miss Lime said...

Supplements are good for people like me who do not have access to home-cooked meals and are always eating MSG-laden foods and fast food...