Sunday 16 August 2009

My so-called hometown Barista

Each time i frequent this particular eating place, the owner never fails to fascinate me with the way he prepares and mixes the drinks for all his customers. He makes coffee, tea and other non-alcoholic beverages, but my favourite is always his hot milo (Malaysian's favourite chocolate malt drink) - with less sugar added.

But seriously, the sight of him working diligently at his kitchen worktop is so assuring that you know you are going to be served with the best drink which you have ordered. The clatters between the stainless-steel teaspoon and the old porcelain cups is so zestful that you know that guy is stirring your drink with much effort. He spares all his concentration and spends a lot of time preparing each cup of drink, plus he makes sure that he stirs each one for at least 10 to 15 seconds. The best reward is that when you take the first sip of your hot coffee, it wouldnt be over piping hot that it burns your tongue; in fact it would just be at a perfect temperature after much stirring, with a whiff of the coffee sending aroma to your senses.

Simply put, I think that man is my favourite Barista in my hometown, and he's best caught in action when one of his hand is holding the ear of the small porcelain cup, and another hand fastened to a stirrer while moving back and forth until the drink in front of him froths up a little.

And by the way, he doesn't work in an airconditioned cafe, nor does he work in the Starbucks. He works under the roof of the oldest market in our country, in the heart of my little hometown. Yes, it's Siang Malam of Taiping I'm talking about.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never been to Taiping before, hm.. should plan out something.. :)