Saturday 18 April 2009

My grandmother's wooden clogs


I live in an old townhouse built during the colonial times. I live with my grandmother. I take pride in a lot of things which portray our local culture in this heritage-old house. That includes my grandmother's wooden clogs.

Sometimes, I love to roam around the house in her clogs when she's not around. I love the clattering sounds made by the clogs against the ground each time i make a step. I love the weight of the wooden-soled clogs as i lift my feet up everytime. I love the feel of the smoothened texture of the wood on my sole.

There was once when i quietly wore my grandmother's clogs again when she was watching tv upstairs. She came downstairs after her tv show, and she must have searched high and low for her clogs! The obnoxious part of me was not aware because my feet must have felt so comfortable in her pair. I really forgot the fact that i have deprived her of her clogs.

She didnt asked me for her clogs, instead she just let me continue wearing them. She discreetly took a new pair of clogs from her cupboard, and she started taking out a knife. I was shocked when i saw her using the knife, and i instantenously asked her "Ma, what are you doing!!??"

She replied, "Don't worry, just go ahead wearing the clogs.. I'll use these new clogs, but i need to resurface it first"..

though i didnt understand what she meant by resurfacing with a knife, but i really felt so sorry for her. She looked delicate (and she has shaking hands and weak osteoarthritic knees), i really felt so bad. in fact, I silently scolded myself for wearing her clogs. I went bare-footed, and i fitted her feet into the warm clogs from my feet. I reminded her not to use the knife anymore for any reason. I couldnt have forgiven myself if my grandmother really started using the knife in whatever way.

I think i should start getting myself a pair of wooden clogs and start wearing them. By the time i reach my grandmother's age (and if the clogs are still not worn out), they will be as smooth as that of my grandmother's! At that time, i can live to tell a tale to my grandchildren that my grandmother used the exact same kind of shoes once upon a time.

2 comments:

Beads & Pieces said...

very kam tong la...

bengsoon chuah said...

hahahaha.. i like it.

i sometimes wish i have a pair here too. lol